Special Appearances and Events
Southern Shakespeare Company welcomes our 2018 Special Guest Artist, Reneé O’Connor, performing in our Shakespeare in the Park production of Romeo and Juliet. Reneé O’Connor, best known for the role of Gabrielle on the television series Xena: Warrior Princess, is an American actress, producer, and director with a deep and abiding passion for Shakespeare. Ms. O’Connor has performed in Macbeth (Lady Macbeth) and Romeo and Juliet (Nurse) and is thrilled to be joining us at the Capital City Amphitheater this May.
With support from the Foundation for Leon County Schools, Shakespeare comes to life as students get to see, hear, and question the Bard himself, as devised and performed by period-dressed Education Director, Phil Croton! Our Leon County students learn about Shakespeare’s life, in Stratford and London, during the reigns of Elizabeth I and James I, shaking off the dust of Shakespeare’s canon and engaging students in live performances, reading, and analyses of Shakespeare’s work.
Internationally renowned rapper/performer Devon Glover (“Sonnet Man”) will bring his unique interpretation of Shakespeare’s sonnets to our Leon County school students this year with his hip-hop rendition and style. Sonnet Man fuses the words of William Shakespeare with rap “. . . blending classical literature with an urban beat and introducing a whole new generation to The Bard and his most beloved poetry.”
The Governors Club provides the perfect blend of Tallahassee history and contemporary finishes for Southern Shakespeare Company’s Annual Fundraiser.
Saturday, January 27th
at The Governors Club
Shakespeare by the Numbers:
- Over 70,000 people have experienced Southern Shakespeare Company’s education and outreach programs and productions.
- The Southern Shakespeare Company has been awarded over $300,000 in grant funding from local and state government supporting the mission to make Shakespeare accessible to our community.
- Southern Shakespeare Company (SSC) received contributions of $14,000 in through annual memberships.
- SSC has had tremendous backing from our corporate sponsors generating over $85,000 in support of our programs.
- SSC has developed strong relationships with more than 50 community partners.
- In 2018, the Southern Shakespeare Festival is estimated to have an economic impact of $1.5 million from tourists visiting our city to see our signature Free Shakespeare in the Park event.
Membership and Sponsorship opportunities are available for:
Individuals • Family • Students • Seniors
For More Information Click Here