The A Town Divided Education Program uses Southern Shakespeare Company’s original production, A Town Divided, as a tool for educators to teach Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.
A Town Divided is a 50-minute play, based on Romeo and Juliet and set in modern day Tallahassee, Florida. It was written from interviews with community members and examines the racial divide in our city.
Teachers who utilize the A Town Divided Education Program will not only have access to:
- The full pre-recorded production of A Town Divided to watch with their classes
- custom worksheets and lesson plans
- supplemental educational videos
- our recorded discussion panel with Leon County
- Sheriff Walt McNeil, radio host Nicole Everett, and author Adrian Fogelin
I took some of my drama students to see A Town Divided… Wonderful, thought-provoking show and an awesome talk-back afterwards as well! Thank you for opening up a much needed discussion in our community… a fantastic learning opportunity and a great piece of theatre.
We watched [A Town Divided] with two of my classes today. The follow-up conversations were fantastic. Students didn’t leave when the bell rang at the end of the day because we were still talking.