Southern Shakespeare Company auditions are open to all – from experienced performers to those stepping on stage for the first time. We are always thrilled to welcome new talent to our productions!
Auditions for adult (age 18+) union and non-union performers are held periodically throughout the year. (For auditions for Tallahassee area youth, please see our Bardlings program.)
We advocate for diversity throughout our organization and strongly encourage auditions from members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
If you would like to receive email notification about future auditions, please use the button below to submit your name and contact information.
All currently open auditions for Southern Shakespeare Company shows are listed here and on our social media. Typically, auditions request at least one <60 second monologue suited to the show’s style. Each audition’s requirements will be specified below.
2024 FESTIVAL AUDITIONS
Acclaimed DC-based artist Shanara Gabrielle will direct the 2024 mainstage, Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale. This multigenerational story of resilient women restoring what once went wrong is sure to enchant an audience of thousands from the Big Bend area and beyond.
Auditions are open to amateur and Equity performers. All performers receive compensation. Housing may be provided for up to two Equity artists. Please address any questions to Executive Director Bianca Montague.
AUDITION: Thursday, September 14th or 15th, 5:30-8:30 PM at 136 Progress Drive
(Note: you may join us during either of these windows that work for your schedule, but please plan on at least 45-minutes on campus to complete your audition; park in the lot across the street)
CALLBACKS: Saturday, September 16th, 11 AM, by email invitation
FOR: This is a general call for actors of all types and experience levels. All SSC performers will receive a stipend for their work.
REHEARSALS: TBD, based on availability; likely beginning in April 2024. Be ready to share your calendar/conflicts for up to two months prior to the May 9th – 12th performances.
PREPARATION / MATERIALS:
- You may open your audition with [contrasting] monologue[s] no longer than 90 seconds total OR complete readings from the provided scripts.
- Resumes and headshots are encouraged but not required.
- Video auditions are also accepted. Email firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM on September 30th with your resume, conflicts for April-May 2024, and a link to your audition video via YouTube, Vimeo, or Google Drive.
Can’t Make In-Person Auditions? SELF-TAPE THROUGH SEPTEMBER 30!
- Self-tape <90 seconds of a prepared monologue OR read one of the sides available on the website.
- Also attach resume and headshot if available, as well as a list of conflicts for April/May.
- Submit to email@example.com by 11:59 PM on September 30.
2024 FESTIVAL ROLES AVAILABLE
may be subject to change based on rehearsal process, script edit
- LEONTES, King of Sicilia
- HERMIONE, Queen of Sicilia
- CAMILLO, a courtier, friend to Leontes and Polixenes
- ANTIGONUS, a Sicilian courtier
- PAULINA, his wife and lady-in-waiting to Hermione
- DION, a courtier and friend to Leontes
- EMILIA, a courtier and friend to Hermione
- POLIXENES, King of Bohemia
- FLORIZELL, princess of Bohemia
- PERDITA, princess of Sicilia
- SHEPHERD, foster father to Perdita
- SHEPHERD’S SON
- MOPSA, Shepherdess in Bohemia
- DORCAS, Shepherdess in Bohemia
- ARCHIDAMUS, a Bohemian courtier
- AUTOLYCUS, former servant to Florizell, a rogue
- TIME & APOLLO, as Chorus